Found that while walking the riverbed fishing.

DC_Custom_Knives

Holocene
Aug 30, 2021
Hi,

First of all, I have to say I am a complete neophyte when it comes to being a rockhound. I do like fishing the rivers in the foothills of Western Alberta.

Last month I found a rock about 35mm x 80mm x 8mm which has some interesting markings on it. It was in the water when I spotted it, and it appeared as though it was wood with tracks from a boring insect. When I retrieved it from the river bed, it felt like a rock. I brought it home and took some pictures of it.

Any help in identifying what it is and what causes these interesting markings would be greatly appreciated.
Located on the Clearwater River north of Caroline Alberta.

Best wishes,

Dan

Latest posts

Forums

About us

• Geology Buzz is a Geology forum for Geologists and Earth Science community. Get Geology News, Jobs, Courses, Maps, Photos, and articles from students and professionals. The forum covers multiple fields of Earth Science like Geology, Geophysics, Geochemistry, Hydrology, Geography, Engineering Geology, Petrology, Mineralogy, Structural Geology, Paleontology, and Environmental Geology. We have a community of Geologists, Geophysicists, Mining Engineers, Gemologists, Petroleum Engineers, and many others. Join Now!

Quick Navigation

User Menu