Kolar Gold Fields

megalodon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 3, 2020
Kolar Gold Fields (K.G.F.) is a mining region located in Kolar District, Karnataka, India. The town has been known for gold mining for over a century. Gold was mined in the area as early as 200 AD. After the British colonization, the region became one of the biggest gold producers in Asia. It is the world's second deepest mine. When the mine was active, it was contributing to 2% of the world's gold generation.

kolar gold fields

The following are some of the interesting facts about KGF:
  • At a depth of 3000 meters, it is world's second deepest mine.
  • The first ever hydroelectric plant in India was built at Shivanasamudra, to provide electricity to the gold fields. It was the second Asian town to get electricity after Tokyo in Japan.
  • The longest passenger train, Swarna Express, goes from KGF to Bengaluru.
  • Silicosis was first identified in KGF
  • The world’s first cosmic ray neutrino interaction took place in KGF in 1965. It was a joint effort of TIFR (Mumbai), Osaka City University (Japan) and Durham University (UK).
  • The Kolar Gold Mines were nationalized in 1956 and provided over 900 tonnes of gold in total.
The mines were closed by Indian Government on 28th Feb, 2001, as the mining became untenable. Although there is still gold left, the mine was closed due to environmental reasons, less exploration and lack of economic viability.

About us

• Geology Buzz is a forum for all Geologists and Earth Science enthusiasts. Our community has many great things to offer to the students and professional of all Earth Science fields including Geology, Geophysics, Geochemistry, Hydrology, Geography, Engineering Geology and Environmental Geology. Let's Rock!

Quick Navigation

User Menu