What is Geological Mapping?

megalodon

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 3, 2020
Geological Mapping is the process of studying an area for the Geological features and plotting the data on a map. The Geological Mapping starts with a topographic map of the area which has the elevation contours already plotted over it. The Geologist explores the area and locates the outcrops (visible portions above soil) of the rocks on the map. The strike (horizontal extension of the rocks) and dip (slope of rocks) are plotted over the map and the rocks are extrapolated. If there is enough data, the entire area is filled with lithological information and the structural data is plotted over it.

There are several symbols to indicate specific types of Geological information. The Geological map is supposed to give an idea about the behavior of rocks below surface. So, if we have to drill a borehole in an area, the Geological map of the area can give us a basic understanding of the type of rocks to expect at specific intervals of depth. If there are any mineral deposits, then the additional information will be used to understand more about their behavior.

Neva Zirkle

Holocene
Jun 19, 2020
There are a lot of conventions. I almost forgot everything in our first field tour and standing like a rock in front of a cross-cut. My brain went blank and I felt like I don't know anything about Geology. Field work is difficult (at least for the beginners).

Reactions: Marianne France

Marianne France

Holocene
Jun 19, 2020
There are a lot of conventions. I almost forgot everything in our first field tour and standing like a rock in front of a cross-cut. My brain went blank and I felt like I don't know anything about Geology. Field work is difficult (at least for the beginners).
This happens for everyone. Sometimes the teachers confuse too.

Reactions: Golden Gardenia

About us

• Geology Buzz is a forum for all Geologists and Earth Science enthusiasts. Our community has many great things to offer to the students and professional of all Earth Science fields including Geology, Geophysics, Geochemistry, Hydrology, Geography, Engineering Geology and Environmental Geology. Let's Rock!

Quick Navigation

User Menu